When a tooth is severely decayed, split or broken, or otherwise traumatized, the dentist may recommend a dental crown. Crowns can breathe the life back into a tooth and restore its function. Before you make that decision, there are some things you need to know about dental crowns in Mequon, Wisconsin.
First, dental crowns can be customized to look and function just like your original teeth. Second, crowns are used to help bridges stabilize damaged teeth, and third, crowns can last many years – if taken care of properly. If you do decide to get a crown, here are some more important things to consider:
– Crowns can look and function just like a normal tooth and still need to be cleaned and flossed like one, as well
– Crowns can break, just as normal teeth can
– Temporary crowns should be replaced with permanent ones a few weeks after, so as to prevent breakage and nerve exposure since temps are not as strong and stable or cemented on
– Porcelain crowns look as natural as your own teeth and keep the aesthetics of your smile looking white
– Crowns can prolong the life of a tooth for many years
There are typically two appointments for the process of placing crowns. The first visit is to prep the tooth to receive a crown and to place a temporary crown, and the second is placing the permanent crown. Sometimes, dentists have a system that allows them to complete a dental crown in just one visit. At Michael Kim, DDS, we can examine your tooth and determine whether a dental crown would benefit you. Dr. Michael Kim is experienced with placing crowns and would love to hear from you. Contact us today for an appointment at 262-241-5558.