Believe it or not, your eating habits can positively or negatively affect the health of your teeth. Dr. Michael Kim and our team are always happy to offer suggestions as to which foods to eat and which to avoid in order to best aid your oral health.
- Fruits and vegetables that are high in water content, like melons, celery, and cucumbers, are good for the teeth. Avoid bananas and raisins, as they contain concentrated sugar. If you eat bananas or raisins, make sure you brush your teeth afterwards.
- Cheese is a good snack because it triggers the flow of saliva, which washes away food particles.
- Sweet treats should be eaten with meals instead of as snacks. Around mealtimes, there is usually more saliva flow, which can wash the sugar away from the teeth.
- Avoid sugary treats that linger on the teeth. Hard candy, cough drops, mints, and lollipops can contribute to tooth decay because they coat the teeth with sugar.
- Drink more water and less juice and soda. Juice and soda contain sugars that can harm the teeth. Water aids in washing food particles away from the teeth.
We invite you to contact our office at 262-241-5558 today to schedule a visit with our dentist and for more information about how nutrition in Mequon, Wisconsin, can affect the health of your smile.